Wednesday, July 6, 2011

James Frey Interview

I loved James Frey's new book so much that I had to meet him somehow and tell him, so we did a LAMBDA interview that has just been posted.

The greatest moment of the interview happened on the question of when James feels "most free." His answer changed the way I look at art forever, both as a viewer and as a performer. The goal, I believe now is to be so good, that your art sets people free.

My very gay interview w/ JAMES FREY of A Million Little Pieces. It's sort of a must read (We talked about Oprah too) http://tinyurl.com/3l8ewpa

In 2003, I was 100 pounds overweight and closeted when I walked into a bookstore and picked up A Million Little Pieces. It quickly became my obsession: this book about a drug addict struggling so hard to get better. I learned quickly that addiction to drugs, or in my case food, was really about shame--about not wanting to acknowledge difficult feelings, and about being afraid to live as who I was. I cite A Million Little Pieces as one of the main igniters of my 100 pound weight loss and thus, my coming out as a gay person, to my family and myself. Hope you like the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment