Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The current opening page to 100 Pounds

The statistics on permanent weight loss are almost as grim as the effects of long-term obesity. Eighty-five percent of people who attempt to lose weight don’t, and the rest put it back on within five years. Then those people die, younger than “normal” people.

People are more hopeless about exercise than ever, and diets have become a joke. And many overweight men and women actually increase their weight after the frustration of failed fat-burning sets in. Chances are if you are fat, you will stay fat and you will get fatter every year. The odds are against us.
I don’t have the answers to losing weight and this is not a dieting book, but I did it. I fucking lost 100 pounds and I’ve kept it off for six years. This is my story of beating the odds.

This book is not to help you lose weight, it’s storytelling that keeps me thin. I keep the weight off by telling my story over and over again to anyone who will listen, so please--read it every Thursday because Friday Morning is my weigh-in.

Still, this book is for anyone who has even a shred of low-calorie hope and just a little something more. Maybe its fear, or maybe its determination. Maybe its vanity, ambition or maybe its a good therapist. Whatever it is, I hope you get it and I hope it lasts and multiplies and evolves so that you may live a long life and not die a really fat virgin.

She’s always lived for tomorrow
She’s never learned how
To live for today
She’s dyin’ to try something foolish
Do something crazy
Or just get away
Something for herself for a change

Is there life out there?
So much she hasn’t done
Is there life beyond
Her Family and her home?
She’s done what she should
Should she do what she dares?
She doesn’t want to leave
She’s just wonderin’
Is there life out there

From Is There Life out There sung by Reba McEntire

No comments:

Post a Comment