Monday, November 16, 2009

an excerpt from March 2003

I had lost about five pounds since moving in with my parents, and that just wasn't enough. I'd been home for almost a month, and everything I read said that by that time, I should have lost closer to fifteen to twenty pounds. I was obese after all, and the first six months should be a significant weight loss. I was eating really well but in the middle of the night, once everyone went to sleep (after I'd fought with both Mom and Dad during the waking hours about not buying circus animal cookies and regular coke), I'd wind my fat ass, in all four of it's lumpy parts down the spiraling staircase, like a cat who's owners leave a kiddie pool of Fancy Feast out overnight. And then I would waddle toward the fridge to build a circus sundae.

Circus Sundae:
7 Circus Animal cookies with sprinkles crushed
2 teaspoons (or three or four) Smuckers Hot Fudge microwaved for 45 seconds or until scalding
3 scoops butter pecan ice cream (the safeway brand)
7 more circus animal cookies (uncrushed)
1 or 2 more teaspoons Smuckers Hot Fudge
1 scoop Jif Peanut Butter
5 cherries
the juice from the cherry jar

After about 13 days straight of these sundaes, I realized it was time for me to go.

I packed up my clothes and my unemployment checks and rented an apartment in Midtown Sacramento, and that was the day I came to weight -loss Oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment