Monday, August 16, 2010

popSPIN Week 6: Promise

Last week I paid off a credit card and a loan, and I was on top of the world. I had the magic in me, as the B.O.B. says.

I look back on my time of being poor and in debt with a deep, deep sadness. I can only compare it to having been fat. The numbness that surrounded me in these times of unhealthiness and later poverty were both rooted in how trapped I felt in those years.

Cashing in a promise to become more healthy in a specific time frame is similar to paying off debt: both to get my head above water, to invest in life and have options. And it wasn't just for me, it was for the people I owed. Obesity just like debt is embarrassing and limiting if you're not careful, and that's just not the life I want.

Keeping promises proves that you're a person of character, not just to the outside world but inside your bed at night when your only wish is for a peaceful mind that allows you to rest. This week, spin class is devoted to promises. Some are more vapid, sexual, or corny then others--but the promise still remains: be the person you say you are, and your life will be peaceful. I know this for sure, promise.

"Magic" B.O.B. featuring Rivers Cuomo
"Signed, Sealed, Delivered" Stevie Wonder
"Bills, Bills, Bills" Destiny's Child
"Space Cowboy" N'Sync
"Paid My Dues" Anastacia
"Song For the Lonely" Cher
"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" Diana Ross
"Fire Bomb" Rihanna
"Jump" Madonna
Shake Your Moneymaker" Ludacris
"Forever and Ever, Amen" Randy Travis
"Circus" Britney Spears

The Next three popSPIN classes are repeats of previous playlists but I'm still your teacher. We return new on September 13 with a class at 5:30 and 6:30. Then on September 20th, I'm moving into the 6:30 Monday time thanks to your requests.

No comments:

Post a Comment