Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The SEANtra

I am never leaving home again.

My car broke down in Firebaugh, CA yesterday on my way home from the most magical weekend of my life. I was towed to an auto shop in Mendota, which is like Rosarito,Mexico minus the hospitality. The auto shop fixed the car, then it brome down 10 miles after I left they were closed by then, so I had to be towed 80 miles away to Fresno, where I was denied rental car service for not having a utility bill.

I had a Tina Turner moment where I walked into a Holiday Inn at the Fresno airport and said "I have $100 and these shoes, and I am a day late home and I miss my dogs, and my car is broke. And I need a parking space and a room or I will be sleeping in my car in a ditch."

They gave me a room. Thank you team member,Raquel. You are Fresno's finest. Is your brother gay?

Today, I was towed to a Pep Boys to have my car fixed for an additional $500. While I was waiting, I walked to the Nissan dealership 2.5 miles away and began a 10 hour negotiation for a new car that included reimbursement for Sirius radio, a bailout on the Pep Boys repairs, and a fully loaded package.

After signing all the paperwork and agreeing to a price and finance percent, I transferred insurance, and cleaned out the truck, leaving it at pep boys 2.5 miles away.

Then they told me there was a problem.

I needed to put $1500 more down. Which I don't have. I began to cry but held back. I screamed the f word and threatened to call the police. I'd already signed the deal and been given keys. I became my mother. She was on the phone with me while I did it, and later told me she's never been prouder.

And now, I am tpro humble new owner of a Nissan SEANtra, special edition package, all black with moonroof...and buttons that control the windows. I'm rich!

This was a hard couple of days. I felt like I was in the wiz and everyone was either a good witch or a bad witch, and poppys were all over the place trying to shake me down. and by poppys I mean non-preferred tow truck drivers.

I'm so happy to be home more than anything. I missed Ralph and Cricket this trip like never before. And tonight I'm going to sleep well knowing I made it out of Hell (yes, Central California is in fact, Hell), better than when I entered it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment