Saturday, May 29, 2010

Glee and exercise!

What I love about Glee is that it offers all of us hope.

As a person who lost over 100 Pounds, against the odds of what experts tell us is possible, it's shows like this that keep me excited about life. From Artie's wheelchair to Kurt's tumultuous coming out process with his dad, each week this show makes me feel it. I try to hold it back, but each week it pours out a little harder than before.

I laugh, too at Jane Lynch's evil Sue Sylvester and I'm touched by her relationship with her mentally handicapped sister proving that no one is all bad. I love Rachel Berry, played by Lea Michelle, because I was SO her in high school, determined to leave my mark as a nerd with a purpose and worth...beyond just being a theater geek. I took all the "Will Schuster's" in my life back then for granted, but his character is the teacher we all needed in high school--the one who believed in us, even when he didn't really have any reason to believe.

Last week, when Finn's Cory Monteith showed up to save Kurt in Gaga Red, it was the most visceral emotional reaction I've had to the show yet. As you know, I'm all about standing up even when it's not popular, telling the truth and speaking up against the oppressed (because I'm very wonderful and honorable and liberal) and to see the cool kid do that was really special. I jumped out of my seat full of tears wanting it to never end, this show that stands up for the freaks and geeks, so to speak.

And then there's the music, never too "Today" and never too "yesterday" and always with a hint of Broadway. That the first season featured both of the leads from the original cast of Wicked is not a fucking coincidence, People. Bathhouse attendance has virtually vanished on Tuesday nights. And each week, America watches this queer little show, validating the creativity of a very gay man--Ryan Murphy who makes it all happen.

But mostly, I watch for Mercedes, whom I idolize.

I hope you'll join me in the morning by paying tribute to my favorite show at Glee Spin, a one time only event I designed for other Gleeks who'd like to Safety Dance in their bike! (The poster has the wrong date, which makes me feel like I've been splashed with blue soda) but it's Sunday May 30th at Train West Hollywood.
XOXO,
Seanny

No comments:

Post a Comment