Friday, March 11, 2011

There is no such thing as free food

I used to have a job where we had free food everyday. Lunch was catered daily, snacks were abundant and exactly what I liked (I bought them for the office), and the drinks were milky and cold. And when we were out of food, we'd go get food out as a group. And I would look around and think, this is the life. This is why I don't work at a Pet store or at a payroll company in Simi Valley.

And then I gained weight, and I talked about it a little and I learned: food is never free.

Food has caloric value, and food came from somewhere that prepared it that cost time and movement. Food makes people bigger when over-consumed and it makes you sick under the same circumstances. Then you need new jeans, or have doctor bills and those cost money--that means the food is not free.

So no matter how poor you are, remember that it doesn't help to stash away for the winter with the free food being placed above you. Just because you're sad, or mad, or angry or bored, or empty doesn't mean that free food will fix it. Just go write for fifteen minutes. And before you know it, it'll be six-o-clock.

1 comment:

  1. That post is very timely for me and helpful. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete